Friday, November 12, 2010

Thanksgiving Menu

How do you handle Thanksgiving in your family?  Do you gather with family?  With friends?  Does the host do all of the cooking, or does everyone bring a dish?  When I lived on the West coast we went to a friend's potluck on year.  Every other year I did all of the cooking for our family, and sometimes a friend or two.  Now that I'm back home, it's back to what I grew up with.  We have a family dinner (anywhere from 13-20 of us) every year. Since the meal is at my sister's house, she is in charge of the turkey.  I should say, my brother in law is in charge of the turkey, as he does the frying.  Every other household brings 1-3 dishes.  We have a LOT of food.  I love it!!  We always have a variation or two, but we stick to the basics in my family.  Thanksgiving to us is about tradition, and we don't usually deviate from our favorite recipes for our favorite dishes.  Here are our ol' standby's:

Turkey
Sweet potato casserole
Green bean casserole
Mashed potatoes
Corn pudding
Brussels sprouts with pine nuts & bacon (The ONLY way I'll eat Brussels sprouts!)
Rolls
Stuffing
Cranberry sauce
Pecan pie

No comments:

Post a Comment