Friday, June 5, 2009

Lentils and Rice

This was served to me many times by a Panamanian friend. Very yummy, healthy, easy, and cheap! It's good alone, or served with fried plantains or an avocado salad.

Ingredients

1 c lentils
1 c rice
1 large tomato, diced
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp dried cilantro
Salt*

Soak lentils overnight. Drain before cooking.

Place lentils and rice in a large saucepan. Cover with water, plus about 1". Bring to a boil. Add tomato, onion, garlic, cilantro, and salt. Cover; simmer for about an hour.

*There is no measurement for the salt. Use to taste. I usually use little to no salt when I cook, but for this dish I use a very generous amount.

You can change this recipe so many ways. Tonight I added another tbsp cilantro, some cumin and a can of Rotel. I put sour cream on top of it for my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment